Wednesday, December 2, 2009

IVF round 2- now with 50% more pineapple!

I had my transfer today.  Once again I was pushed to day 6.  And once again, there were only 2 embryos to transfer, and nothing to freeze.  It makes me very concerned about my egg quality.  Out of 26 eggs retrieved, only 2 were good enough to make the cut.  I'm trying my best to stay optimistic.  The embryos from this cycle look much bigger than the embryos from last cycle.  The doctor who did the transfer said they looked good.  He wasn't able to give me anything more detailed than that.  I have to wait until after my pregnancy test to make an appointment with my doctor for a full embryology report.

Overall, the transfer went very quickly and smoothly.  The embryologist was able to get them into the catheter on the first try.  At my last transfer, she was chasing them around the petri dish.  It looked like she was crushing them.  It was an incredibly nerve wracking thing to watch, especially when you're flat on your back with your legs in stirrups and a speculum poking out of you.  My bladder was full enough so the doctor was easily able to locate the best point for transfer.  It's so cool to see the tiny white flash on the screen when the embryos are shot out of the catheter.  The only awkward moment came when I was being wheeled out of the procedure room.  The nurse who brought me back to my bed asked me if I was flying solo that day.  I looked confused, so she rephrased - your husband couldn't make it today.  I couldn't think of a witty comeback, and just said "SHE is standing right behind you" and pointed towards Elizabeth.  It never ceases to amaze me that so many people at the clinic assume I'm straight.  Elizabeth thinks that people are just thrown off by my long hair.

The rest of my day consisted of resting on the couch watching Wife Sw@p, eating my weight in pineapple.  Fun times.  I still haven't decided if I'm going to call out sick tomorrow and take another day of bed rest.

18 comments:

justine said...

take the day off!! eat more pineapple! take good care of yourself.

i am so sorry that you just got the two embryos, but we have EVERYTHING here crossed that that's all you'll need.

here's to the beginning of a really great year!

tui said...

Woohoo they're in! Call in sick, you deserve it! I wish you had got some freezables too but that's not stopping me from having ridiculous amounts of hope for this cycle - and I'm gonna be hoping like mad for the next several days until you test.

Ugh straight assumptions suck, I hope she had the grace to blush.

But anyway - put your feet up, rest and GOOD LUCK!

P said...

I am happy that everything went smoothly. Hopefully 2 will be all you need. Stay positive. We are rooting for you. Bedrest and a good movie are always a good combo.
Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Go wonder embryos, go!

And yes, call in sick, eat more pineapple, and watch some Sponge.bob... thus adding to your pineapple quotient for the day.

AdventuresInBabyMaking said...

Hey! Sorry I missed your last post - it didn't show up in my reader thing. I was wondering how it went and what excuse you used on T-day! This sounds great. So happy to hear that the embies looked good! And I definitely think that the pineapple on the table at Thanksgiving was a sign. I love it!

xo

Anonymous said...

Call in sick, and soak it in... you are PUPO! (pregnant until proven otherwise!)

Go on and GROW superstar embies!!!

GIsen said...

Yep,stay home and watch all those baby shows on TLC and Discovery:)

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

I hope you took today off, girl. Your coworker's encyclopedia of excuses should provide a good selection to chose from! ;)
I've got my fingers, toes, legs, and arms crossed, and my hair braided for you. Grow, juicy embies, grow! Now is your time!

Jersey said...

*putting on my cheerleading uniform*

you can do it, you can do it, if you put your mind to it!! Goooo babies!!

*taking off the uniform and clearing my throat*

i got my fingers crossed for you. *smile*

CJ said...

Crossing everything but my legs for you!!!

Libberal said...

I hope you took today off too! Go wee embryos, go!!!!!! I also have my fingers and toes crossed for your and your eggs!

Lisa said...

I vote for another day of bedrest and visualizing implantation. Good luck to you this cycle and remember, it only takes 1.

Schroedinger said...

Stick, stick, stick!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! Sounds like things went much more smoothly this time and I think that bodes really well for you. I know it is so worrisome that there were only two but it just takes one as that lame ass saying goes and I believe one or both of those little buggers will be making you barf your brains out in no time.

I hope you took today off as well. It can't hurt right? Try to relax and keep shoveling in the pimeapple. I'm sending all my good juju to you love.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hoping you called in sick, and will stay in bed the whole weekend!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Sounds like this transfer went very good. I hope that this TWW goes by fast for you.....I know, I know..that is impossible, but I still wish it for you.

tbean said...

Thinking of you as you wade through the wait and hoping for the best possible outcome. Hugs.

cindyhoo2 said...

Sending you happy sticky, perfectly developing vibes. C'mon little embies!!