Sunday, August 15, 2010

Lucky Friday the 13th

At 38 weeks 6 days pregnant, I finally got contacted with a date for induction, to happen one full week later. I was miserable. One week seemed like an eternity. Still, Elizabeth and I did our best to enjoy what remained of our free time and made a lunch date with some friends for the next day. We checked out one final daycare, and ended the day with chocolate ice cream. At 4:30 in the morning, I got up to pee and felt a strange pressure on my pelvic bones. Yet the toilet paper showed no sign of a mucous plug, so I attributed it to sleeping funny. I went back to bed, and realized I was still peeing a little. Hmm....I'm not a bed wetter I thought to myself, I should stop this at once. Only I couldn't stop. The trickle grew stronger, and I shook Elizabeth awake. "I think my water just broke" I said as another small gush came out. Elizabeth turned on the lights and threw back the sheets. "Yup, it sure did" she said upon seeing the puddle I was lying in.

I can't ever remember feeling so giddy in my life. We raced around the house following our to-do list...change the sheets, feed the dogs, run the dishwasher. I couldn't stop giggling the whole time. The first few hours of labor were exactly as I'd always imagined- being awakened by my water breaking, and then a drive to the hospital when the streets are dark and empty. The rest of the delivery was completely unexpected.

Once I found out that I was having twins, I knew that many aspects of their delivery would be out of my control. A home birth was out. I knew they would likely arrive early, so I braced myself for spending time in the NICU. I knew they would most likely be born by c-section, with a room full of hospital staff.

I totally lucked out. Both babies were head down, and my OB was excited about letting me go vaginally. While it's policy in this and many other hospitals to deliver all twins in the operating room "just in case", our OB pulled some strings (okay she was downright stubborn and insistent) that we be allowed to stay in the LDR room for their birth. Rather than being surrounded by a team of 8 hospital staff, it was just Elizabeth, the OB and a nurse in the LDR room when the babies were born. Labor progressed slowly and steadily, and I allowed myself to experience painful contractions until I was 5cm. I had a low dose epidural, which my OB asked me to let wear off by 10cm. After an hour and a half of pushing, we had a son.

We waited for the contractions to do their thing and push the next baby down. The baby's heart rate got really wacky on the monitor, and the contractions slowed down. The OB asked my permission to start some pitocin to help bring the contractions back up since the baby seemed to be in a bit of distress. I was exhausted at this point, so I was happy to have any method of help possible. Just shy of 40 minutes after our son was born, we had a daughter. She surveyed the room, pouted, and then peed her disapproval.

One of each. We are over the moon thrilled and excited about these babies, born on an oh-so-lucky Friday the 13th. They could not be more different. Our little boy has dark hair, dark eyes, and is a skinny little thing. Our little girl, a blondie, looks bigger. We learned after having them weighed that her bigger appearance is just due to her chubby little cheeks. He weighed in at 6lb 1oz, and she was 5lb, 11oz. They were 20 inches & 18 and a quarter long, respectively. They're absolutely perfect and precious, and we will post pictures and names, provided we can figure out how to make them un-googleable, very soon!

39 comments:

Unknown said...

What an amazing story. Congratulations ladies! Welcome to the world little ones.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
N said...

Wow! What an amazing story. And how fantastic that everything came together and you were able to have a birth like that! Many many congratulations, and welcome to the world!

Rachel said...

Congratulations on everything going so well and on your 2 little ones! I can't wait for pics and names!

Shannon said...

Congratulations! So glad everything went well. Looking forward to pictures and names.

Justine said...

Oh! My! Goodness!!! What an amazing day! We are SO incredibly happy for you. It's wonderful that these babies are here finally! And safe and sound- but also that you had such a wonderful experience. Wowowowow!!! Welcome to mamahood! And welcome to the world little ones!

Nicole said...

Wow. Congratulations!! What an amazing story and such a wonderful birth. Can't wait to see pics and hear names. So impressed you wrote a post so quickly!

Dani said...

I knew you'd have one of each! Congrats on the twins! I bet they are beautiful.

Movie Gyrl said...

Congrats on bringing your new bundles of joy safely into this world. Thank you for the quick update on your birth story. Can't wait are pics of your beautiful baby boy and baby girl! Congrats again mommies!!!!!

pugmamma said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful birth story!!!

P said...

Congratulations I am so happy for you guys. A boy and a girl so perfect. Happy to hear everyone is doing well. I love the oh so lucky Friday the 13th.

S said...

Congrats on the safe arrival of your babies. Can't wait to see the pics!

tbean said...

Sounds like you couldn't have asked for a more beautiful or perfect twin birth! Congrats mamas! You are my inspiration!

jessie said...

Amazing birth story! Congrats! Can't wait to see pics!

J and DZ said...

Congrats and what a perfect birthing experience!! How awesome that you have one of each!
Can't wait to see them!
FYI - When I posted Sadie's full name I made a jpg so it couldn't be searched. I also have search engine listings turned off in my blogger settings.

Strawberry said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We're so happy for you all...what an amazing, wonderful birth and a boy AND a girl!! Can't wait to see pictures and hear the names. Wow...awesome news.

2 Chicks 1 Hatchling said...

Congrats mommies! Welcome to the world little ones! How wonderful you have a boy and girl and were able to avoid the operating room. Can't wait to see the pics and find out the names!

Anonymous said...

A boy and a girl!!!!! That's so wonderful. You did so great and I'm so impressed with you and Elizabeth and you OB. That sounds like a perfect birth story to me. I am so excited to see pics and hear baby names. Did you have an inkling at all that you'd get one of each? How fantastic!

vee said...

Oh, such wonderful news!! Many, many congratulations on the safe arrival of your little ones. Can't wait to see pics.

MrsSpock said...

Congrats! You are certainly a twin-carrying supermama. I've been there many times at twin births in the OR, and cannot think of anything less pleasant, so I am glad you got to push them out in more comfort.

Schroedinger said...

Lucky Friday the 13th, indeed! How wonderful for all of you... let the next adventure begin :)
Congratulations!

Amy said...

De-lurking to congratulate you guys. What an amazing birth experience!!

Elana Kahn said...

Yay that's so awesome!! I knew it was going to be one of each...I just knew it. :-) I can't wait for names and photos.

Anonymous said...

One of each! Wow! Congratulations, congratulations. What a birth story, too. So amazing you did it vaginally. Can't wait to see pix, either. :)

e said...

congrats! what a lovely birth story. Enjoy this early time with your your little guy and gal!

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

Mazel tov!! How wonderful that you got to deliver them both vaginally and with so few people in the room. Sounds like you had a great experience. I can't wait to see their little faces!!

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Sounds like an amazing and powerful experience. Tons of hugs and kisses to your son and daughter!!!

Joy said...

Congratulations!!! What a great birth story! I can't wait for more info! Have a great babymoon and enjoy your precious new babies!

Tui said...

Congratulations, I am so impressed you were able to avoid the c-section - good job! So, so happy for you xo

GIsen said...

Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

sounds like a complete and perfect experience. glad you got to experience labor, and the excitement! i cant wait to hear names and see their sweet faces!

AdventuresInBabyMaking said...

How exciting! That sounds so awesome. We are so excited for you two! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, mamas! What an amazing birth story! I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous. I can't wait to see pictures! Love to all four of you!!! xoxo

isa said...

Congratulations! It sounds like they're absolutely perfect--can't wait to hear more about them!

anofferingoflove said...

wow, totally inspiring birth story! congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your babies :).

A+K said...

Congratulations mamas and welcome to blogland, babies!!!! :) We are very glad you are happy, healthy and HERE! :)

Willow St John said...

Congratulations. I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

Pufferfish said...

BIG congrats! I'm so happy for your little family. What a wonderful birth story and I'm so happy you were able to deliver naturally. You really made a twin pregnancy look so easy!
Best of luck with the munchkins!